The RefDesk2.0 blog is about my experiences with new technologies and library trends. I will be tracking my progress with the 23 Things On a Stick Program, a program for individuals working in Minnesota libraries.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Thing 17

I enjoy the database feature of signing in, saving items to a folder et cetera. I believe these features help students to organize their research and search process. When I do bibliographic instructions I make a point of highlighting these features. I have received positive comments from students. I find it helpful when creating bibliographies as well. The RSS feed on the other hand is not a feature I will be using, but I do inform students of it. RSS would be most useful to someone doing an extended project or research on a topic. I help students with a variety of different subject areas. It would be beneficial however to be updated on new content, but with the number of databases at my school it is not practical.

If a group of librarians shared sign-on information and thus a profile on ebsco's CINAHL they could then share new items with each other and collaborate effectively without even needing to communicate with each other, each librarian or instructor would gain knowledge.

No comments: