The RefDesk2.0 blog is about my experiences with new technologies and library trends. I will be tracking my progress with the 23 Things On a Stick Program, a program for individuals working in Minnesota libraries.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Thing 10

Wiki is not really new to me, I have added to wikis before. In fact, at my current employment we have a private wiki for the librarians. We share fun facts, websites, discuss and post news. It is easy to set up, easy to use, and a good way to stay up-to-date. I think people should be open to use them, not afraid of losing control over content.

That said, no wiki should be considered an academic source, it is more of an open source than a peer reviewed source, and it should not be used in an academic setting to gather information. No instructor will allow a wiki as a source at the school I work at. Most students know this as well. The MN150 Wiki was a pleasure to read.

No comments: